- In the vSphere client, click on the server.
- Click on the summary tab.
- Right click on datastore -> Browse Datastore
- Upload (icon with the up arrow in front of some disks)
- Upload the folder or files that you require.
- Create a new (or use an existing) VM and use the vmdk file you have uploaded.
- VSphere Client -> File -> Export -> Export OVF Template
- Select destination (e.g. Desktop)
- It makes a Folder with the .ovf and .vmdk
- VSphere Client -> Deploy OVF -> browse to Folder for .ovf file
Alternatively, use "ovftool" to package your VMX into an OVF (for deployment).
Alternatively use VMWare vCenter Converter
- Login to local machine
- Browse for .vmx and .vmdk files
- Choose destination (e.g. ip address of ESXi)